Founded and launched in 2180 CE, the Horizons Initiative is a civilian, multi-species project created to send 48,000 scientists, explorers, and colonists on a one-way trip to settle the Andromeda Galaxy in an effort to preserve life as we know it.
The Initiative’s ultimate goal is to establish a permanent presence in Andromeda away from the Ubiar Invasion, and eventually create a reliable route between it and the Milky Way Galaxy, assuming it is broadcasting the all-clear when that time comes.
Six Havens equipped with cryostasis chambers have been constructed for the century-long journey to the Andromeda Galaxy. The HCS Aether (Haven 1) serves as a temporary hub until a major colonial presence is established.
The Initiative is governed by an incredibly selective council known as the Initiative Conclave. The conclave is compromised of notable Milky Way figures from across the United Nations, including the UN Navy, Trailblazer Program, and UN Council.
The Conclave Councilors are:
Mike Trainer - Initiative Director (HCS Aether)
- Galen Antuma - Lead Scientist (HCS Gaia)
- Detir Aanoxer - Militia and Security Director (HCS Andaman)
- Tylisk Yubo - Assistant Scientist, Security Correspondent (HCS Val)
- Iden Allan - Director of Colonial Affairs (HCS Jackson)
- Xand Sobanum - Haven Superintendent (HCS Sobanum)
While the Conclave governs the Initiative, its exploratory leads are truly the heart and soul of the program. These leads are responsible for scouting worlds, making first contact with any sentient life, ensuring the peace across the frontier, and just above anything else that just so happens to be assigned to them.
The Exploratory Leads are:
- Adam Trainer (Human Trailblazer)
- Ashlyn Trainer (Human Trailblazer)
- Cayn Schultz (Human Trailblazer)
- Hayden Shaw (Human Trailblazer)
Due to its incredibly rushed formation, the Initiative is largely understaffed, underdeveloped, and underfunded. It is incredibly reliant on establishing successful colonies in Andromeda.
See also: Equipment
- Equipment: While the Initiative's best technology is reserved for its Exploratory Leads and their underlings, more common equipment is available to Militia and Security personnel on the Aether. Under special circumstances, colonists may receive equipment loans if they undertake Conclave-endorsed assignments, though weapons, armor, and spacecrafts are restricted to the majority of colonists.
Even with thousands still in cryostasis, monthly rations are critically low. The shortage has resulted in mission-critical personnel often receiving preferential treatment, while those deemed expendable are often allocated far less.Since the arrival of the Second Wave, the Horizons Initiative now has the produce and resources to feed its colonists, though long-term sustainability is entirely dependent on the Exploratory Leads' successes. Should the hydroponics gardens undergo another malfunction, another Ration Crisis could just as easily occur.
- Spacecrafts: With the help of the United Nations Engineering Corps and Trailblazer Program, the Initiative brought dozens of vessels to Andromeda, including an assortment of shuttles, corvettes, and five top-of-the-line TV19 (Trailblazer Version 19) ships.