The Galactic timeline covers events considered important on a galactic scale and does not go in depth for any specific species (see Races for in depth information). All dates are in BCE (Before Common Era) and CE (Common Era).
Pre-Secession (Unknown - 1541 CE)
Pre 1000 CE
- While some of the 23rd century's leading scholars predict the Martians to have built their observation posts up to 200 million years prior, each and every one of these hypotheses are clouded in mystery and uncertainty. Many yearn to know what truly happened to the galaxy's precursors, but just as many campaign to shift funds elsewhere. Yet, only one thing is certain: the Martians once dominated the galaxy and some mass extinction event pushed them to the point of genocide long before any of us ever existed.
- Majority of the galaxy's major players grow from primitivism to fully capable races ready for galactic imperialism, though many of the 23rd century's largest players would not rise until much later, including the Ardolons and Humans
- More and more species begin to arrive on the galactic landscape, with the Kelviir being the first (1012 CE) and the Bushraks (1024 CE) shortly after.
- The Bushrak push their luck in attempting to uplift their first primitive species, the Ardolons. While grateful to assist a fellow species, they later wrote off uplifting further species as they believed the Ardolons' differing ideological state was an outcome of the paternalistic and often condescending relationship that formed.
- The galaxy remains in a state of relative peace and fragile alliances as more and more races discover or are discovered by the Kelviir/Bushraks.
- The Ardolons grow to be the ideological foil to the Bushraks, yet the Ardolons, having been uplifted by the Bushraks, remain loyal to them for the time being.
- With no galactic regulation, the galaxy naturally turns to war to settle border disputes. Alliances are finally tested and the Ardolons and Bushraks take on nearly every other race, except for the Kelviir who prefer to idly watch.
- The fighting unofficially ceases in the year prior, and the Ardolons and Bushraks negotiate a peaceful end to the conflict with the rest of the galaxy, leading to the formation of the Grand Alliance.
- The Kelviir refuse to join the compact after a decade of negotiations, and the rest of the Grand Alliance take their prized construction project, the Grand Station through force, leaving the Kelviir spiteful and isolated.
- The galaxy enjoys a widespread golden age as the standard of living grows exponentially in the post-war economic bubble the Alliance haphazardly created.
- Economic depression sweeps across the galaxy once the post-war bubble pops and it becomes apparent how little economic restriction was outlined in the Alliance's founding documents.
- The black market flourishes while official channels flounder. The least governed areas are hit the hardest and come to be unofficially known as the Anarchic Systems and Turbulent Spectrum, with the former being the furthest away from the Alliance's sphere of influence and the latter being on the border of civilization and chaos.
- The galaxy's leading races begin to all point fingers as to who created the depression, leading to animosity and division among the Grand Alliance.
- The Alliance's lenient expansion policy allows many races to grow their borders exponentially, creating even further tension. However, the Anarchic and Turbulent sectors are specifically ignored as any attempt to formally imperialize them ends in rebellion and failure.
- A pocket forms between Ardolon and Bushrak borders as the wealthy take advantage of neutral space to continue shady business practices outlawed in amendments to the Alliance's constitution. Both sides "mysteriously" never colonize this pocket (almost certainly due to the widespread corruption among the Alliance council). The top 1% continue to flock into these sectors even today to regulate and govern themselves as their own independent nations.
- The Ardolons and Bushraks, the galaxy's most prominent races, despise one another at this point and subtlety prepare for war (though unofficially and privately). The Ardolons make the first move in closing their to the Bushraks.
- Tension continue to rise with small diplomatic incidents. Many other races simultaneously begin to pick sides.
- The black market and Neutral Traverse's wealthy thrive under the embargoes and the depression starts again, worse than ever before.
- Both sides' economies finally adjust to the embargoes and are able to combat corrupt practices with increased domestic manufacturing among other strategies.
Secession Era (1541 CE - 1647 CE)
- Violating the Grand Alliance's border agreements, Ardolon spy ships are caught probing Bushrak territory and shot down.
- The Grand Alliance officially dissolves and two sides form, one behind the Ardolons and another behind the Bushraks.
- The Katali are discovered in the Neutral Traverse during routine reconnaissance flights. Both sides compete to win the Katali's favor, who are reluctant to support either.
- Tricked into joining the Ardolons, the Katali allow the Collective to use their territory as a staging ground, leading the Bushraks to invade Katali space. This invasion marks the beginning of the Secession Wars.
- The Neutral Traverse is officially acknowledged as a DMZ and greatly expanded.
1544 - 1647 CE
Assembly Era (1647 CE - 2072 CE)
- Both sides agree to begin negotiations after over a century of war and a hard push by the overly wealthy Neutral Traverse.
- With space travel becoming a real possibility, United States President John F. Kennedy wins reelection by a landslide.
- Defusing the situation around Korea and Vietnam, Kennedy diverts loads of funding away from the military and towards NASA.
- Apollo 11 lands on Luna and Neil Armstrong becomes the first Human to walk on an astronomical object outside of Earth.
- Kennedy becomes the most loved president in United States history and Congress abolishes the 22nd amendment to keep him in office for another four terms.
- With the massive success of the US space program, tensions continue to rise with the Soviet Union. To counter said tension, Kennedy sets the ball in motion to form the North American Union, a pact which would merge Canada, the United States, and Mexico all under one flag.
- Even after Kennedy leaves office, debates against the NAU continue well into 1995. With a 3/4 vote across the United States government and significant global approval, the North American Union finally forms.
- The NAU, Earth's largest advocate for interstellar travel, establishes the first Human colony on Mars: Exodus.
- After extensive research and exploration around Exodus, Human scientists discover subtle signs of excavation dating back millennia prior.
- Dr. Isabelle Allan leads an expedition deep into Mars, searching for more information on these excavations. On Mars’s surface rests an ancient outpost, dubbed the ‘Martian Reconnaissance Post’ (MRP) by Earth media, seemingly tasked with observing Humanity.
- Researchers discover alien technology and information centuries in the MRP far ahead of current Human capabilities. Whatever precursor civilization left this post have been consequently named the Martians.
- Earth's major world powers vote on the Interstellar Charter which narrowly passes. With its ratification, the charter grants the UN sovereignty over Human space activity.
- The UN Council is elected to represent Earth's world powers, and the UN becomes responsible for humanity's galactic efforts (among many other responsibilities).
- The United Nations, with their newfound authority, establish a federal research and development department, in response to the information obtained on Mars, dedicated to understanding the galaxy.
- The UN team (later labelled the Bento Initiative) assemble the first Human spacecraft capable of deep space travel, paving the way for planetary colonization.
- Prompted by the discovery of the Martian technology in the decades prior, the UN Navy is formed in an attempt to protect Humanity from whatever waited out on the final frontier.
Onset of Humanity (2072 CE - 2180 CE)
- Before long, Earth's leading governments unanimously agree on allowing the United Nations to venture off into deep space. With their blessing, the UN launch the first colonization effort outside of Sol and establish Genesis in the Alpha Centauri sector.
- The development of military vessels quickly becomes a multi-billion dollar business as Earth makes a grand push to expand the Navy.
- In a bid to further explore the galaxy and (primarily) expand Humanity's borders, the UN launch the Trailblazer Program.
- A Bushrak observation post picks up abnormal amounts of activity near Genesis and come into first contact with the Humans after investigating.
- March 11-15: The Trailblazer Crisis occurs and Humanity discover their first primitive species.
- February 4: Events of Horizons RP.